No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Largest tires (safely) possible on stock 7.00 x 8.00 rims

Hey folks,
    Just joined the ranks of golf cart ownership and am looking to increase my ground clearance as cheaply as possible and upping my traction at the same time, if possible. I just picked up a 2000 Yamaha 36v G16E and am using it primarily on a "woods road" and a field. The road is mostly level but has small roots, rocks and when loaded w/4 people it'll bottom out sooner or later. The stock 18 x 8.5 tires only give it just under 4" of clearance and was thinking the cheapest solution to bringing the undercarriage up an 1" or so was to go with a larger tire. I've seen a 20x10 - 8.5 tire (http://www.tntgolfcar.com/products.php?productid=243) advertised and if this will work I would like to find something more economical. Can I use a 20x10-8.5 tire? Can I use any 20x10-8.5 tire, like a go cart tire so long as the weight rating is good? I really don't want to get into the expense/time of a lift kit and 4 new rims + tires.

Anyone else tried this? Results, good or bad? Cheap tire websites?

Thanks,
    Mike

Going for 20x10-8.5 tires you can achieve that additional inch of clearance which will slightly help mitigate the issue of bottoming out when traversing over small roots, rocks, and uneven terrain. This extra inch can make a difference, especially when the cart is loaded with passengers. There are several ways to find cost effective tires that meet your needs. General tire retailers and online marketplaces like eBay , facebook marketplace or Amazon might have better prices. It’s important to compare prices across various platforms and look for deals or discounts. Sometimes buying used or during sales can result in significant savings.

While the size may fit your cart, you must verify that the tires can handle the weight of your cargo and its typical load. Gokart tires of the same size might be an option, provided they meet the required weight capacity. Check the tire specifications including load index and ply rating to double check they are enough. Lift kits while effective in significantly increasing ground clearance involve a more complex installation process and additional costs. If your primary goal is to gain an extra inch of clearance, larger tires are indeed a simpler and more affordable solution.

While the new tires will fit even without a lift, switching from 18 inch to 20 inch tires can result in a noticeable increase in speed due to the larger tire circumference, which allows the cart to cover more ground with each wheel rotation, potentially boosting top speed by around 11%. However, this speed gain comes with tradeoffs, as the motor must exert more effort to turn the larger tires, which can decrease acceleration and place additional strain on the batteries and drivetrain.. Additionally, while larger tires may enhance ride comfort and stability by better absorbing shocks from rough terrain, the overall efficiency and longevity of the motor and drivetrain might be impacted.

Comment

Show More Comments

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
    X