Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Battery drain

I have a gas g14 yamaha. When it's running it only reads 11 volts coming from the generator/starter. As a result it kills the battery when I drive it. I changed the battery, starter/generator, voltage regulator and the solenoid. Still goes dead when driven...I don't know what else it could be...

To get to the bottom of it you’ll need to run a few tests using a digital voltmeter. First, remove the drive belt or jack up the rear wheels for safety, and then run the engine up to about 2500 RPM. With the engine running, use your DVM to measure the charging voltage by probing the positive and negative terminals of the battery. You should be seeing around 14.5-15.5 volts. If you're not getting that range, there’s definitely something going wrong in the charging system.

Next, if the voltage is low, let’s move on to testing the starter/generator itself. Disconnect the small red and green wires from the starter/generator, then set your DVM to measure resistance (Ω). Place the red probe on the red wire and the black probe on the green wire. The resistance reading should be somewhere between 4.5 and 5.5 ohms. If the reading is out of this range, you’ve likely found the issue with the starter/generator.

If the starter/generator tests fine, you may be dealing with bad wiring, loose or corroded ground connections, or a faulty voltage regulator. Now, even though you've replaced the voltage regulator, brand new aftermarket voltage regulators can be faulty right out of the box. The internal components like diodes or the circuitry responsible for regulating the charge can be hit or miss in aftermarket parts. Quality control varies, and the components are not built to the same specs as OEM parts. If you're still having issues, I’d recommend either replacing the voltage regulator again or considering going with an OEM regulator if possible as they tend to be more reliable in the long run. Keep me in the loop!

Comment

Thanks, I'll try those....

Comment

Show More Comments

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
      X