Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• G9 runs then stops

I have a G9 at a cold start up will run 100yds and then it quits running (no spark at all its getting fuel and air just no spark) and it right at a 100yds ever time it like a invisable wall it just quites but if you let it set a minent or 2 it will start up and it will go 10ft and quits .The longer you let it sit the farther away it will go,
    I have replaced the coil and the voltage regulator and that did not fix it so whats next to look at ?

It ran fine for years intill my lovley kid ran it through a big mud puddle and its all been down hill from there. Thanks kids

Sounds like a blocked fuel vent or fuel filter. Try loosing the gas cap and see if that helps, if not change your filter.

Comment

bad ingtor ok now

Comment

Glad to hear you got it fixed and thanks for letting us know so others may learn from your experience.

Comment

My columbia par car had the same problem. I did a few tests and read your fix. Ignition module was the cure.

Comment

Have the same issue with my 1993 Yamaha Model G9AJ that i bought for as a project
            I've changed Coil (has spark now), in line fuel filters, in tank filter, voltage regulator, new carb, new air filter, new belts, new spark plug, new battery cables and new solenoid. Battey shows it is getting charged as well when idling.
            It idles fine for the most part but when i drive it runs for about 100 ft then dies, then won't turn over when i press the gas pedal, but if i leave it for a-bit, say 2-5mins it will start up again and go another 100 ft or so any help would be appreciated as I'm new to the golf cart world.
            Also is an ignitor or ignition module the same ref as a CDi box that feeds the coil? I have not changed the Stater Coil Pulser, or CDi should I?

Photos Attached

You do not have permission to view this gallery.

If you are a guest, you may be required to Log In or Sign Up to view.

This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

Posted earlier by Vanbno7
              Have the same issue with my 1993 Yamaha Model G9AJ that i bought for as a project
              I've changed Coil (has spark now), in line fuel filters, in tank filter, voltage regulator, new carb, new air filter, new belts, new spark plug, new battery cables and new solenoid. Battey shows it is getting charged as well when idling.
              It idles fine for the most part but when i drive it runs for about 100 ft then dies, then won't turn over when i press the gas pedal, but if i leave it for a-bit, say 2-5mins it will start up again and go another 100 ft or so any help would be appreciated as I'm new to the golf cart world.
              Also is an ignitor or ignition module the same ref as a CDi box that feeds the coil? I have not changed the Stater Coil Pulser, or CDi should I?
              From what you described, if the starter motor itself isn’t engaging after the cart runs for a short distance, it often points to a weak or failing battery. I'd recommend starting by swapping in a known good battery just to rule out that as the source of the problem. Even though your battery is showing a charge while idling, it might not be holding enough power under load causing the cart to die. If changing the battery with a known good one doesn’t help, I would focus on inspecting, cleaning, and tightening all the ground connections. Poor grounds on this cart is a common problem and can lead to voltage drops or intermittent connections, which may be contributing to why your cart starts, runs for a short distance, and then quits. Grounding issues are easy to overlook but can cause a lot of frustration in carts like these.

Now, regarding your other questions about the ignition system, an ignitor or ignition module essentially does the same job as a CDI (Capacitor Discharge Ignition) box. They manage spark timing by sending signals to the coil. Since you’re getting spark, the CDI box or the Stator Coil Pulser likely isn’t at fault in this case. The fact that your cart runs fine for a while before dying suggests that fuel delivery or power flow is more of the issue, rather than ignition timing. So while changing the CDI or Stator Coil Pulser could be considered down the road, it doesn’t seem necessary yet based on the symptoms you’ve described. Your focus should remain on verifying reliable power delivery and consistent starter operation first. Getting the battery and grounds sorted out will give you a better idea of whether you need to troubleshoot any further.

Comment

Posted earlier by golfcartg

From what you described, if the starter motor itself isn’t engaging after the cart runs for a short distance, it often points to a weak or failing battery. I'd recommend starting by swapping in a known good battery just to rule out that as the source of the problem. Even though your battery is showing a charge while idling, it might not be holding enough power under load causing the cart to die. If changing the battery with a known good one doesn’t help, I would focus on inspecting, cleaning, and tightening all the ground connections. Poor grounds on this cart is a common problem and can lead to voltage drops or intermittent connections, which may be contributing to why your cart starts, runs for a short distance, and then quits. Grounding issues are easy to overlook but can cause a lot of frustration in carts like these.

Now, regarding your other questions about the ignition system, an ignitor or ignition module essentially does the same job as a CDI (Capacitor Discharge Ignition) box. They manage spark timing by sending signals to the coil. Since you’re getting spark, the CDI box or the Stator Coil Pulser likely isn’t at fault in this case. The fact that your cart runs fine for a while before dying suggests that fuel delivery or power flow is more of the issue, rather than ignition timing. So while changing the CDI or Stator Coil Pulser could be considered down the road, it doesn’t seem necessary yet based on the symptoms you’ve described. Your focus should remain on verifying reliable power delivery and consistent starter operation first. Getting the battery and grounds sorted out will give you a better idea of whether you need to troubleshoot any further.
                Thanks for quick reply, I did change battery to a different one to trouble shoot and it was sitting at 12.9vts and would charge up to around 16vt when using multimeter, I'll check grounds more thoroughly, its odd that after it sits abit it starts up, could generator starter be an issue? Are wiring harnesses easy to replace on these if need be?

Comment

Posted earlier by Vanbno7

Thanks for quick reply, I did change battery to a different one to trouble shoot and it was sitting at 12.9vts and would charge up to around 16vt when using multimeter, I'll check grounds more thoroughly, its odd that after it sits abit it starts up, could generator starter be an issue? Are wiring harnesses easy to replace on these if need be?
                  Oh man I had almost the same thing happen to me! It was driving me nuts. Turns out it was the starter brushes in my case, they were worn down and would only work after the cart sat for a bit. What happens is the brushes wear out an they don’t always make good contact, so the cart is like, "nah, not today" until you let it rest. Wiring harness and grounds is a good idea, but I'd check those brushes too

Comment

Show More Comments

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                  X