Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thermal shutdown, controller overheating at low speed

I apologize if this has been discussed, I searched the forum and didn't find this problem. My G16E 36 volt cart runs great, except when driving very slowly for an extended period. We discovered this in a golf cart parade, the cart shut down several times before we bailed out. I tested this again today and was able to re-create the problem. When it shut down, I checked the controller box and it was too hot to touch.

I don't know if there is a problem with the controller, or, it's just not designed to run at very low speed, up hill for more than a short time.

From looking at the wiring diagram I found online, it looks like the controller has 4 FETs in it. The controller box is sealed, so I could see how it could get hot. My thought on a fix is to remove the controller, remove the circuitry, drill some ventilations holes, cover with wire mesh and stick a muffin fan (I have a 12 volt source) on it.

Has anyone run into this?

Thanks! John

Welcome John! Well that issue can really rain on anyone's parade turning a leisurely stroll into a heated debate, literally! Yes here is a thread with a similar discussion however the OP never got back with the solution

The controller has been known in this model to become hot and possibly shut down when running at or below half throttle for an extended period due to several factors. The continuous flow of current through the controller generates heat, especially when the cart is loaded with passengers/cargo or if it's lifted, which increases the workload on the motor and subsequently the controller. Additionally, if the controller is aged with reduced air flow, it can struggle to dissipate heat efficiently leading to overheating. Moreover the ambient temperature and operating conditions such as rough terrain or steep inclines, can exacerbate the heat buildup.

If it has a Forward/Reverse lever, check the condition of it too as excessive heat can generate in either component can contribute to potential issues with the electrical system or the overall operation of the cart. Next time it shuts down, carefully feel if that is getting hot too. Additionally but less likely, worn or damaged motor brushes or bad battery/motor connections can contribute to overheating by causing increased resistance and inefficient electrical contact leading to higher levels of heat generation within the motor and controller. Upgrading to 4ga wires can help with the flow of electricity. If you have any questions feel free to ask!

Comment

Posted earlier by golfcartg
      Welcome John! Well that issue can really rain on anyone's parade turning a leisurely stroll into a heated debate, literally! Yes here is a thread with a similar discussion however the OP never got back with the solution

The controller has been known in this model to become hot and possibly shut down when running at or below half throttle for an extended period due to several factors. The continuous flow of current through the controller generates heat, especially when the cart is loaded with passengers/cargo or if it's lifted, which increases the workload on the motor and subsequently the controller. Additionally, if the controller is aged with reduced air flow, it can struggle to dissipate heat efficiently leading to overheating. Moreover the ambient temperature and operating conditions such as rough terrain or steep inclines, can exacerbate the heat buildup.

If it has a Forward/Reverse lever, check the condition of it too as excessive heat can generate in either component can contribute to potential issues with the electrical system or the overall operation of the cart. Next time it shuts down, carefully feel if that is getting hot too. Additionally but less likely, worn or damaged motor brushes or bad battery/motor connections can contribute to overheating by causing increased resistance and inefficient electrical contact leading to higher levels of heat generation within the motor and controller. Upgrading to 4ga wires can help with the flow of electricity. If you have any questions feel free to ask!
      Thank you for the quick reply! I will check the Fwd/Rev Lever to see if it's getting hot also. The motor brushes and wiring look good and are not getting warm. I've also just replaced the batteries and made new 4ga cables (I have not replaced the battery output cables yet (but they look good and resistance is good).

It seems like the controller is just unable to dissipate the heat by caused by running slowly, with a load, for a more than 10 minutes or so.

I will be sure to post back when it's resolved! Thanks again for the reply.

Comment

I just reviewed the post that you linked, sounds like exactly my situation. Now I'm not sure whether to invest the time to remove, open, inspect/repair, and add ventilation to the stock controller - or - go with an Alltrax, they look like a very nice product.

Comment

Alltrax is a top pick here thanks to their fantastic technical support. Looks like there might be a shiny new controller on the horizon.

The F-N-R lever as earlier suggested is a known weak link in the G16e. If it looks or smells a little hot, you can replace it with the same one and possibly face the same issue down the line, since they don't make any HD versions. However, you can modify an EZGO HD FNR unit to fit. The main adjustment involves cutting and welding the Yamaha shift handle splines onto the pivot shaft to accommodate the original shift handle.

A 400A controller might be just what your golf cart needs for an extra boost while leaving you room for further upgrades down the line. Once installed, pay attention to the heat levels of the FNR lever and solenoid. If they start to get a little too warm from the increased current, you have the option to tone down the controller output to limit heat levels.
          Regards

Comment

Great info, thank you. Since It would have to be removed anyway, I think I'll have a look inside the stock controller to determine if it can be improved. So, most likely, I'll waste a day screwing with it, then throw it away and order an Alltrax

Comment

Show More Comments

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
            X