Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Evolution Classic 4 Pro - Regen Brake Issue

I recently purchased the Classic 4 Pro. We live off a very steep road and had an incident with the cart shutting down 3/4 way down the hill. I understand that if the regen brake produces too much charge back to the battery the controller (?) shuts down to ensure the battery does not get damaged. Does anyone know if that is corect? I also understand at you can get a dump from the battery Controller (?) that ill give a history of the cart - trips - speed etc etc . Is that also correct?

Yes, you're absolutely right! When the batteries are fully charged and you're going downhill the regen braking system can cause the batteries to overcharge. This happens because the regenerative braking system sends charge back to the batteries while slowing the cart and if the battery is already full, the Battery Management System (BMS) kicks in to prevent overcharging.

When this happens you can usually get it back going once the battery charge levels off a bit. If you look at your controller, what controller model do you currently have? It should be written on a label on the controller usually.

Comment

Posted earlier by golfcartg
      Yes, you're absolutely right! When the batteries are fully charged and you're going downhill the regen braking system can cause the batteries to overcharge. This happens because the regenerative braking system sends charge back to the batteries while slowing the cart and if the battery is already full, the Battery Management System (BMS) kicks in to prevent overcharging.

When this happens you can usually get it back going once the battery charge levels off a bit. If you look at your controller, what controller model do you currently have? It should be written on a label on the controller usually.
      Thanks for confirming. I don't have the cart local right now. Do you know how I can get the diagnostic tool to show the history of when the BMS kicked in?

Comment

If you have the EV48-400 or EV48-400-A controller you can download the controller software here, alternatively if you have the EV48-400-C controller you can download that software here

You can also use this attached chart to decipher any codes without software by looking at the status LED lights on the controller itself
        Attached Files:
        Free Download, courtesy of Golf Carts Forum

Comment

There are a few members who live on hills and have found that charging their carts to about 95% helps prevent regen issues, especially the ones with EZGO RXVs which rely heavily on regenerative braking.​

Comment

That’s your regen brake throwing too much charge back into the battery and the battery’s like, “Woah, too much!” so it gets shut down to protect. Basically the battery management is stepping in to prevent overcharging especially if your battery was already full. So yeah, that's totally a thing

If you can hook up the programming software theres a chance you can tweak the settings and adjust the parameters less so prevent it from shutting down.​

Comment

Posted earlier by cybercart
              That’s your regen brake throwing too much charge back into the battery and the battery’s like, “Woah, too much!” so it gets shut down to protect. Basically the battery management is stepping in to prevent overcharging especially if your battery was already full. So yeah, that's totally a thing

If you can hook up the programming software theres a chance you can tweak the settings and adjust the parameters less so prevent it from shutting down.​
              The cart has already been programmed to the lowest setting for regen - still shut dwon. I'm looking for the software and cable that will give me the history of when it shut down. I need to demonstrate it to the delaer.

Comment

Show More Comments

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
              X