Forum Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 60v gel batteries ..Converting to lithium need recommendations for a balancer

I have a Massimo Buck 200efi . It is 60v (nominal) with 60v controller and charger.
    I want to change the tired old gel batts for Lifepo4. While this possible using 5-12v batts in series, lithium is subject to voltage drift imbalance. In a 48v system this is easily solved by a battery balancer (sometimes called equalizer) 48v balancers are common and easy to find.

However 5s 60v balancers are rare with only a few showing up in a google search.
    Angui and Qinizx are among the brands I find, but Iḿ not familiar with them

If you have dealt with this issue and found a reliable balancer from a reputable company please share your experience with me.

Converting to 48v is not an option for me. Too many parts to replace, loss of power, etc.
    Building a 60v pack would be easy enough but it would not fit the compartment.

thanks in advance
    bert
    ​​

Bert, you're right that 60V balancers are not as commonly available and that voltage drift can indeed be an issue when running lithium batteries in series over time. If you're struggling to find a 60V lithium battery and considering alternatives, a good option at this time could be to wire two compatible LiFePO4 batteries in series and to manage the charging process you'd want to use two separate on board chargers by disconnecting the series connection between the two batteries and charge each one individually. Each charger would connect to the positive and negative terminals of its respective battery so that they’re charged independently. Using two chargers eliminates the need to find a rare charger/balancer and avoids potential issues with balancing cells across such a high voltage pack.

Comment

Posted earlier by golfcartg
      Bert, you're right that 60V balancers are not as commonly available and that voltage drift can indeed be an issue when running lithium batteries in series over time. If you're struggling to find a 60V lithium battery and considering alternatives, a good option at this time could be to wire two compatible LiFePO4 batteries in series and to manage the charging process you'd want to use two separate on board chargers by disconnecting the series connection between the two batteries and charge each one individually. Each charger would connect to the positive and negative terminals of its respective battery so that they’re charged independently. Using two chargers eliminates the need to find a rare charger/balancer and avoids potential issues with balancing cells across such a high voltage pack.
      Thanks for your response.
      Charging 5 batts individually involves alot of disconnecting/connecting and thats after I remove the converter and controller.
      Its a chore I rather avoid twice a year.
      The outboard motor batts from LiTime should do the job, Iḿ stuck trying to find a balancer and a decent manufacturer of such.

Comment

Using individual 12V batteries in series is always problematic in lithium setups due to their built in individual BMS protection and the tendency for voltage drift. Running 5 separate 12V batteries significantly increases the risk of BMS cut off. If anything, I’d strongly recommend using two 30V batteries in series. This gives you the 60V you need with far less hassle when it comes to charging and balancing, and it's much more reliable. Anything smaller than 30V will likely lead to even greater maintenance challenges.

Comment

Using individual 12V batteries in series is always problematic in lithium setups due to their built in individual BMS protection and the tendency for voltage drift. Running 5 separate 12V batteries significantly increases the risk of BMS cut off. If anything, I’d strongly recommend using two 30V batteries in series. This gives you the 60V you need with far less hassle when it comes to charging and balancing, and it's much more reliable. Anything smaller than 30V will likely lead to even greater maintenance challenges.
          Fair enough, now to find a 30v battery with 100ah cap.

Comment

I’m wondering if you could get away with two 36V 100Ah batteries in series for your setup. If you add a heavy duty solenoid and feather the pedal you might be able to avoid burning out the controller. If the controller does fail, replacing it with an upgrade and lowering the parameters could help manage the increased power. You might be able to keep the rest of your system stock especially if you’re gentle on the throttle. It’s just a thought, but this approach could potentially work without requiring major modifications.

Comment

I’m wondering if you could get away with two 36V 100Ah batteries in series for your setup. If you add a heavy duty solenoid and feather the pedal you might be able to avoid burning out the controller. If the controller does fail, replacing it with an upgrade and lowering the parameters could help manage the increased power. You might be able to keep the rest of your system stock especially if you’re gentle on the throttle. It’s just a thought, but this approach could potentially work without requiring major modifications.
              Yes that could work, except for the gently feathering the throttle part. I am not that disciplined. And it would only take one time, and I hate the smell of magic smoke.
              Frankly Iḿ about to give up on the lithium and go back to gel. Gel worked fine for 5 years, cost about half the price of lfp, is a true drop-in replacement, no monkey math to get wrong. Yes I would still be lugging around 300 pounds of lead and theyĺl only last 5 years, but just gittin her dun is a win-tie situation for everyone involved.

Comment

Show More Comments

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
              X