Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Balky starting, hesitates to start

You were very helpful with my last question so I am turning to you again for help. The original clamps that secured the air filter housing on 2020 Ez-Go EV1 golf cart were "less than effective" so I fabricated a new mount with some over-center clamps that hold it in place very securely. This mounting also improved access when changing the filter. The zip ties on the clamp handles is just for insurance to make sure the canister stays closed since we do encounter some bumps.

The left side of the photo shows the OEM mounting (including bungee cords to hold filter housing together) and the right side is the new configuration. I am now having issues with the cart not starting immediately and then cutting out at low speeds. So far it has not refused to start, just have to wait a second, press harder on the pedal or switch the key on/off. We never had this issue before so I am wondering if there is any possibility that the horizontal mounting could be causing this. All hoses and lines to the air housing remained in basically the same position. The cart runs great flat-out and the pinging/detonation that used to occur when climbing a slope when the filter housing was loose seems to have greatly diminished now that the filter housing is latched shut. Any help you might provide would be greatly appreciated. Thank you, Ford

Photos Attached

You do not have permission to view this gallery.

If you are a guest, you may be required to Log In or Sign Up to view.

This gallery has 1 photos.

It’s interesting that you mention the air cleaner setup, because what you’ve done with your 2020 actually mirrors the configuration on later model Valors. The air cleaner assembly hasn’t changed much over the years, and the horizontal mounting you fabricated is very similar to the layout in ezgo carts going back as far as 2004. In fact, your updated design is very close to what is now used as a direct replacement for older models, so it’s highly unlikely that this modification is causing the starting and low speed cutout issue.

Given that the air cleaner is securely mounted and functioning better than before, the problem is likely elsewhere. I’d recommend checking fuel delivery and combustion, as those could be more likely culprits for the intermittent starting and low speed. Since the cart runs fine at higher speeds, the issue may be with something else rather than anything related to the air filter housing modification. Just my opinion, nicely done by the way!

Photos Attached

You do not have permission to view this gallery.

If you are a guest, you may be required to Log In or Sign Up to view.

This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

Posted earlier by golfcartg
      It’s interesting that you mention the air cleaner setup, because what you’ve done with your 2020 actually mirrors the configuration on later model Valors. The air cleaner assembly hasn’t changed much over the years, and the horizontal mounting you fabricated is very similar to the layout in ezgo carts going back as far as 2004. In fact, your updated design is very close to what is now used as a direct replacement for older models, so it’s highly unlikely that this modification is causing the starting and low speed cutout issue.

Given that the air cleaner is securely mounted and functioning better than before, the problem is likely elsewhere. I’d recommend checking fuel delivery and combustion, as those could be more likely culprits for the intermittent starting and low speed. Since the cart runs fine at higher speeds, the issue may be with something else rather than anything related to the air filter housing modification. Just my opinion, nicely done by the way!
      Thank you for validating the my "shade tree mechanic" air cleaner mounting. It is good to know that it is close to the current OEM approach. Also, thanks for the suggestions regarding fuel or combustion. I broke the cardinal rule of engine maintenance (only one change at a time) as I also replaced the spark plug while I was doing the air cleaner. Turns out the AutoZone "equivalent" is not functionally equivalent to the original OEM NGK plug. Cleaned up, re-gapped and put the old on back in and performed 10-12 start/stop tests without any hesitation. Again, thank you for being so helpful and I hope all will go well with you.

Comment

Appreciate you looping back with a follow up. Great to know that the oem spark plug fixed the problem and it looks like your approach was spot on
        Regards

Comment

Thanks for the update

Comment

Show More Comments

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
          X