Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1987 ezgo 2 stroke reverse is faster

I have a 1987 ezgo golf cart. When I try to take off it takes a little bit to get going then once it does it goes slow and it barely makes it up a small hill. If I put it in reverse it takes right off and goes fast in reverse. What could be causing this? Here are the things I tried already. I tried new belts, different clutch, cleaned carburetor new plug new gas new fuel filter, new battery. If anyone can help me out that would be awesome.

A stock 1987 EZGO gas cart typically runs at around 10-12 mph, so if you’re expecting more speed, that may not be within the cart's normal performance. However, the fact that it struggles to go forward but works well in reverse suggests there might be something else going on.

One thing to check is if the brakes are hanging up when you're driving forward. It could be that they're sticking and creating resistance, which would explain the sluggish performance. While you're checking the brakes, have someone run the cart normally with the dust covers removed from the center of each rear wheel. Watch closely to see if the center axle bolt is spinning on either side, this shouldn’t happen. If you notice any movement there, it could point to an issue with the axle/hub torque or splines.

If you’re able, it might help if you could upload a video of the cart in action to YouTube and post it. That way, I can take a look and possibly give more specific advice based on what I see.

Comment

Ok I'll check the brakes and do I lift the rear of the golf cart up and run it or drive it normal and check the axle bolts?

Comment

Best to have the golf cart on the ground with your left foot on the brake and your right foot on the gas, this setup allows you to put pressure on the axle shafts, specifically where the axle shaft meets the hub, while keeping the rear wheels locked. The brakes will keep the wheels from turning, while the gas will apply pressure to the axle shafts.

In this scenario, you want to observe if the hubs are tight and if the splines are engaged properly. If you see the center rear axle bolt spinning, it indicates a problem such as a loose, improperly secured or stripped axle hub. It could mean that the axle hub is not correctly tightened or that the splines are not engaged as they should, this could cause inconsistent power transfer and may be contributing to the issues you're experiencing with the cart’s performance.

If everything checks out and the axle bolts are secure, feel free to share a YouTube video of how the cart runs in both forward and reverse. Seeing the cart in action helps get a clear picture of its performance and makes it easier to see if everything’s working as it should.

Comment

Show More Comments

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
        X