Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 36 volt to 12 volt reducer

Hello. New to the forum. I have a 2008 EZGO that I'm converting from lead acid batteries to a single 36 volt lithium iron oxide battery. Problem is getting the 12 volts needed for head lights, etc. I got a 36 to 12 voltage reducer but when I first hook it up to the battery, I get a big arc. Is this normal for a voltage reducer to arc like that? After a few seconds, the current draw subsides. This is with no load on the 12 volt side. Also, are the lights grounded to the frame?

Normal. The voltage reducer contains a large capacitor that produces a spark when it is connected to power after being disconnected for a while. Ground everything to B-

Comment

Posted earlier by cybercart
      Normal. The voltage reducer contains a large capacitor that produces a spark when it is connected to power after being disconnected for a while. Ground everything to B-
      Thanks for the reply. So, to be sure, all grounds go to B- ? (Both grounds from voltage reducer, radio ground? etc?)

Comment

Correct there is no such thing as a 36v ground and a 12v ground as separate entities. Ground is ground, regardless of the voltage in the system. In electrical systems, ground typically refers to the common return path for current and is at 0 volts relative to the system. When you use a voltage reducer to step down from 36v to 12v, both the 36v and 12v circuits share the same ground, which is the B- for both systems. The key is that all components in the system regardless of their operating voltage, should share a common ground for proper operation and avoid electrical issues like ground loops.
        Updated by Michael Eddie; 4 weeks ago.
        Regards

Comment

Show More Comments

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
        X