No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2024 Onward jump start

Good day,

I forgot to flip the switch to maintenance mode before not using my cart for a few weeks, so now the battery is dead. Ordered a battery jump starter, which will arrive in a few days.

After ordering, I'm not sure how to use it. Let me try to explain. Once I actually get the engine started, how do I unhook the jump starter without the engine stopping once I release the go pedal. I need to get out of the cart to lift the seat to remove the jump starter, which will cause the engine to stop.

Anyone else have experience jump starting one of these?

Thanks.

That's an excellent question, jump starting can be a bit tricky in this situation but you've got the right idea thinking ahead.

Once you get the engine started with the jump starter, you’ll need to keep the engine running while you disconnect the jump starter. The trick is to prop open the seat to access the battery area easily. If you have someone to assist you, they can operate the gas pedal with their hand while you safely remove the jump starter. If you’re working alone, make sure the cart rear wheels are securely up on jack stands and front wheels chocked and use an object to prop the gas pedal to keep the engine running while you disconnect the jump starter.

I’d also recommend considering a battery charger instead of jump starting. A charger will safely bring your battery back to life without the need for the engine to run, making the whole process easier and safer.

To charge your cart, first disconnect the battery. Always begin with the negative terminal to prevent any accidental shorts. Loosen the negative terminal clamp and carefully remove it from the battery post. Repeat the process for the positive terminal.

Next, attach the charger clamps to the battery terminals – positive to positive and negative to negative. Make sure the charger is turned off before you connect the clamps. Select the appropriate charge setting on your charger, usually a slow charge for deeply discharged batteries. Then, turn on the charger. Allow the battery to charge fully. This could take several hours depending on the state of the battery and the charger's specifications. Most chargers will indicate when the battery is fully charged. Once charging is complete, turn off the charger before removing the clamps. Disconnect the negative clamp first, followed by the positive clamp. To reconnect the battery, secure the positive terminal clamp back onto the battery post and tighten it. Finally, secure the negative terminal clamp back onto its post and tighten it. If you have any questions or need assistance feel free to ask!

Comment

Thanks for the reply golfcartg,

I live in a large condo complex with a three story garage for parking. The HOA doesn't allow working on my vehicles in the garage.

The jump starter coming in could be hooked up to the battery, and it would fit with the folded seat down. If I could start the engine and drive with the charger hooked up for about a mile, I could work on the cart. Do you think anything would be damaged doing that?

Thanks.

Comment

That makes a lot of sense! I recall when our jump starter's charger gave out, and we resorted to leaving the jump starter hooked up to a running vehicle to recharge it. Different brands can vary, but in most cases, the worst outcome is that your jump starter gets charged back up while driving. As long as the connections are secure and you avoid any loose cables that could interfere with moving parts, there shouldn’t be any issues. Just make sure everything is stable and monitor for any signs of overheating, but generally this method should be safe and effective.

Comment

Below is a link to the charger I ordered. In a few days I'll let you know how it turned out. Thanks.

Comment

Here is the one we use around the shop for reference...

Amazon Link

Photos Attached

You do not have permission to view this gallery.

If you are a guest, you may be required to Log In or Sign Up to view.

This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

While we're going down this road...is there an ammeter that fits nicely on the Onward dash?

Comment

Posted earlier by 42
                While we're going down this road...is there an ammeter that fits nicely on the Onward dash?
                I use this one with no complaints, waterproof too, can be wired to the key switch so that it powers off and on with the key…. Works with gas or electric carts

Photos Attached

Comment

Posted earlier by 42
                  I forgot to flip the switch to maintenance mode before not using my cart for a few weeks, so now the battery is dead.
                  I wanted to touch base on a common misconception in regards to the maintenance / operate switch on the gas powered club car onward. The neutral lockout switch ensures that the engine only runs when the vehicle is in forward or reverse gear during normal operation. If you shift to neutral while the engine is running, it will stop. In maintenance mode, the engine can run while in neutral for repair purposes, but the vehicle won't run if shifted into forward or reverse.

One thing to keep in mind, though, is that this switch doesn’t actually cut off power to the battery. It’s just managing when the engine can run based on the gear position. The battery stays connected the whole time, which is fine for normal use but not great for long term storage.

When you’re planning to store your golf cart for a while, it’s a good idea to disconnect the battery to prevent it from draining. I’d recommend starting with the negative terminal first. This reduces the risk of short circuits and helps keep things safe.

Alternatively, if you’re looking for future upgrades, installing a battery disconnect switch can make this process easier. This switch lets you quickly and safely disconnect the battery without having to mess around with the terminals each time so that your cart is ready to go whenever you need it.

I’m attaching the maintenance switch guide and extended storage article to this post for further information. If you have any questions or need more details just let me know!

Photos Attached

This gallery has 2 photos.

Comment

Thanks for the info on a battery disconnect switch. I'll have one installed during the next maintenance.

Comment

I forgot to mention. The jump starter came in today. Works very well, very easy. It doesn't allow you to make a mistake hooking it up. Highly recommend.

The gage I'm looking for is an ammeter, which shows if the battery is charging or discharging.

Comment

The dashboard's limited space is largely occupied by the fuel/hour gauge making it challenging to accommodate additional instruments. A "hang-on" gauge mount attached to the lower lip of the dashboard above the pedals is an option, but it risks being dislodged by accidental kicks or bumps. Overall, I'd go for a round waterproof illuminated gauge as a practical solution, as drilling a neat round hole with the appropriate drill bit is simpler if needed for a clean secure fit that maintains the dashboard's integrity. Ultimately the decision rests on your personal preferences and specific needs

Comment

Thanks golfcartg. Still looking for a gauge that will work as far as aesthetics. Just found out how easy the battery disconnect is to install.

Comment

Hi all,

A couple of more questions.

What do you all think about adding gas stabilize to the tank? Having an 8 gallon tank could last me a few months. I'm worried about the gas degrading.

The engine turning off when the go pedal isn't depressed is driving me nuts. What's the best mod for keeping the engine idling before putting the trans into neutral?

Thanks

Comment

Posted earlier by 42
                              Hi all,

A couple of more questions.

What do you all think about adding gas stabilize to the tank? Having an 8 gallon tank could last me a few months. I'm worried about the gas degrading.

The engine turning off when the go pedal isn't depressed is driving me nuts. What's the best mod for keeping the engine idling before putting the trans into neutral?

Thanks
                              Fuel can start to varnish in as little as six months with today’s ethanol blends. This varnishing happens because ethanol attracts moisture from the air leading to phase separation where water and ethanol settle in the tank. This can cause degradation in the fuel system and create a gummy residue that clogs up the fuel injector. To prevent this, adding a little gas stabilizer to your tank before fueling is a good idea, especially if the fuel might sit for a few months. Add a little at a time to keep the fuel fresh, prevent moisture buildup, and stop the formation of varnish.

In regards to your engine shutting off when you take your foot off the pedal, there’s no known method or modification on the market at this time to keep the engine idling in this scenario. Club Car actually classifies this situation as a malfunction. The usual culprit is the accelerator pedal linkage being out of adjustment, causing the engine kill limit switch not to activate. Another area to look into is the throttle stop screw being out of adjustment at the governor arm. When these components are out of alignment, it can prevent the engine from shutting off.

Since this issue is mentioned, it indicates that it can happen under certain conditions, which means adjustments might make it possible to keep the engine idling. The engine is built to idle, this engine is not specific to golf carts and has been designed to idle elsewhere in yard equipment, that's no problem. However, we don’t know what side effects might occur in this setup. Potential issues could include other EFI system unintended consequences, that's not a given though. People adjust other areas of the throttle linkage without unintended consequences such as the governor for more speed, which is encouraging to hear.

If you’re inclined to experiment, you could try adjusting the throttle stop screw or the accelerator linkage in small increments. Just be cautious and keep an eye on how the cart behaves. It’s also a good idea to have a clear understanding of the original settings so you can revert back if needed, let me know if you would like to review the Fuel System guide for further reading if anything.

Photos Attached

Comment

Show More Comments

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                              X