Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2004 Club Car Precedent Gas

I recently bought a 2004 Club Car Precedent Gas model golf cart… have needed to tinker with some things etc. Here’s my issue…
    I have put in a
    •brand new battery
    •replaced the solenoid
    •replaced the gcor

each time I’ve replaced an item, cart runs fantastic… until my last replacement (gcor) Now the battery won’t hold charge.
    the gcor was literally a plug n play wiring harness, so I didn’t screw anything up there, however, I am unsure if I correctly wired the solenoid properly. I put wiring from old one in exact spots on new one, though I don’t now if there are particular spots with smaller connect points on solenoid. The larger are basic- +/- from battery connect point, however I am unsure of the smaller connect points and their purpose. Am I missing something, or even barking up the wrong tree with issue?
    Any ideas would be appreciated.

Hey, is it charging at all when running?? you’ll have to check voltage at the battery when the cart is running, should be almost 14v

Comment

I’ll check, but I’m assuming not… I run it 3-4 times per day for about 15 minutes when I take the dog for a “walk” in the fields behind us… it runs great like that for 3-4 days then randomly won’t start… I give it a quick jump and it runs fine for a bit… but when I hook the charger to it, it is down to around 11.4v and “60%” charge on the charger.

Comment

Posted earlier by cybercart
        Hey, is it charging at all when running?? you’ll have to check voltage at the battery when the cart is running, should be almost 14v
        So I just took it for a rip… now the battery was charging and not fully charged (13.3v 80%), hooked my multimeter to it… voltage dropped to 12.5v when driving… didn’t do any dynamic brake charging and was 12.3v when I got back. Put it back on charger to charge over night hopefully to 100%.

Comment

Posted earlier by Simon306

So I just took it for a rip… now the battery was charging and not fully charged (13.3v 80%), hooked my multimeter to it… voltage dropped to 12.5v when driving… didn’t do any dynamic brake charging and was 12.3v when I got back. Put it back on charger to charge over night hopefully to 100%.
          That seems to have ruled out a failed battery, here are a few more potential culprits. I would check brushes, look for loose or broken connections, and make sure the belt is tight.

I’ll go look at my cart and get back to you with the solenoid wiring …

Photos Attached

You do not have permission to view this gallery.

If you are a guest, you may be required to Log In or Sign Up to view.

This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

Posted earlier by Simon306
            I’ll check, but I’m assuming not… I run it 3-4 times per day for about 15 minutes when I take the dog for a “walk” in the fields behind us… it runs great like that for 3-4 days then randomly won’t start… I give it a quick jump and it runs fine for a bit… but when I hook the charger to it, it is down to around 11.4v and “60%” charge on the charger.
            Lets check the starter/generator output, put the cart on jack stands for safety or place it in maintenance mode, take photos and label the wires so you can easily reconnect them later.

Disconnect the yellow wire from the DF terminal on the starter/generator. Cover the connector on the yellow wire to make sure the yellow wire will not short to ground. Then, using a jumper wire, ground the DF terminal to the A2 terminal

Using a multimeter set to 20 volts DC, place the red (+) probe on the positive (+) post of the battery, and place the black (–) probe on the negative (–) post. Turn the key switch to ON position, press the accelerator pedal to start the engine and run it at full governed speed. The reading should show the voltage rising on the meter. If the voltage rises above 15.3 volts DC, test the voltage regulator. If the voltage does not rise, a tear-down inspection of the starter/generator will be necessary.

Photos Attached

Comment

Test procedure for voltage regulator

1. Place the neutral lockout cam in the MAINTENANCE position, put the Forward/Reverse handle in the NEUTRAL position, and chock the wheels.
              2. Ensure that the wires are connected correctly and are tight. If they are not, rewire or tighten as necessary.
              3. Check the engine RPM setting to ensure that it is correctly adjusted. (Yours should be OK)
              4. With the battery in good condition and fully charged, run the engine for several minutes to bring the voltage regulator to operating temperature.
              5. Turn the key switch to OFF, killing the engine. Using a multimeter set to 20 volts DC, place the red (+) probe on the large post of the solenoid with the red and white wires crimped together from the voltage regulator attached. Place the black (–) probe on the negative (–) battery post (See attached photo). Turn the key switch to the ON position. Press the accelerator to start the engine and run it at full governed speed. If the reading is between 14.7 and 15.3 volts, the regulator is good. If the reading is lower than 14.7 volts but rising steadily, check battery condition. If the reading is lower than 14.7 volts and not rising, and the starter/generator is good; or if the reading is over 15.3 volts and continues to rise, replace voltage regulator.

Photos Attached

Comment

Show More Comments

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
              X