Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lead/acid to Lithium conversions...

I'm looking at a 2020 Club Car Tempo that has been converted to Lithium, Anybody have any experience with this? Yes, I read the lithium sticky, juat wanted to hear from someone with actual experience.

I used to have an electric DS and after replacing the batteries and not using it much, decided to sell it. Then a few months later I missed having a cart, so bought a Yamaha gasser, not a fan of the noise and vibrations and smell.

Saw a dealer that is selling conversions, they bought out a fleet of 2020 Tempos and are converting them to Lithium. Price is not bad, $7995, all street legal. They use 50ah Roy Pow Lithium, I know that's not the best setup, I'd prefer the 100Ah setup, but not sure what the difference is.

Here's the ad
    https://phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/f...790514253.html...

Comment

Ad for my Yamaha gasser For Sale...

Comment

The 50Ah battery is really on the low end for a golf cart especially if you want to add any extra weight down the line like passengers, cargo, mods or a lift kit with larger tires. Under heavy load that battery will have to work harder and you’ll likely start tripping the BMS. When this happens, the cart will just cut out leaving you stuck. It's frustrating and interrupts your drive which is not something you want to deal with regularly.

If you like the deal overall, I’d suggest asking the dealer if they could customize it for you with a 105Ah battery instead. It’s worth paying the difference for the peace of mind. They might say the 50Ah works fine, but having the extra capacity in a 105Ah will give you more range and flexibility. The larger battery will give you a more reliable ride and the ability to add features down the line without worrying about power issues. It’s just a smarter choice long term I think.

You're definitely on the right track though with lithium, one common mistake people make is buying individual 12V lithium batteries. Each of these has its own BMS, and wired in a series setup, one battery often trips its BMS while the others keep going causing constant unexpected shutdowns. Then they're stuck with a setup that's more of a headache than a solution.

With a 105Ah battery you’re really getting a lot more breathing room. You’ll be able to go longer without needing to charge and it handles more stress without feeling like you’re pushing it to the limit. Since it’s got a bigger reserve, it won’t wear out as quickly which is a nice bonus for the long haul. The 50Ah can work fine if you’re not asking much from it, but if you plan on using the cart more often or for heavier loads, the 105Ah just gives you that extra confidence that it won’t cut out on you.

Comment

Thanks, that's what I was thinking. Not that I'll add the things you mentioned, just me 270lbs., cruising around Sun City and maybe a passenger on the course. I do want to be able to do 25mph, which is the legal limit around here.

Comment

Are the RoyPows any good? Better/worse than anything else? Not sure what they have available. What do you think the 105Ah upgrade would cost?

Comment

Given that you’re aiming for 25 mph you’ll definitely need to look into an upgraded controller and possibly some gearing adjustments to hit that speed. The stock setup with programming will only get you to about 19.5 mph. And at 25 mph, you’re going to put a lot more strain on the battery, so the 50Ah pack wouldn’t cut it for that. A 105Ah battery would be a much better fit for maintaining higher speeds and handling the extra load even if it’s just you and an occasional passenger on some hills. Plus, it gives you peace of mind that you won’t be pushing the battery to its limit all the time.

Even though you’re not planning on major add ons right now, having that larger battery means you won’t have to worry about upgrading later if you ever decide to add more features or power demands like a soundbar and the like.

If you’re serious about upgrading on your own, you can use RoyPow’s dealer locator to find a dealer near you. Pricing can vary depending on where you go, but a good price for a 105Ah battery installed with the charger and SOC meter would usually be around $2,250 or less. Sometimes you can find deals for a bit cheaper, it really depends on the dealer and whether they include installation or offer any discounts. Everyone’s different, but that’s a ballpark to keep in mind. 50ah is usually $1,500 or less to your door. Just a rough estimate to give you an idea and may vary based on specific sellers or shipping costs.

Photos Attached

You do not have permission to view this gallery.

If you are a guest, you may be required to Log In or Sign Up to view.

This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

Posted earlier by UberDan
                Are the RoyPows any good? Better/worse than anything else? Not sure what they have available. What do you think the 105Ah upgrade would cost?
                RoyPow is solid! They’re on the same level as Eco Battery so you’re looking at good quality either way. I’ve seen a lot of people run them with no issues, super reliable. I have to agree the 105 is a game changer, unless you’re like me and get distracted by all the options and just end up zoning out halfway through forgetting what you were even upgrading for LOL. But yeah, 105Ah. Do it.

Comment

Yeah, I asked the dealer about the speed, he said 19 mph is about the max. But, most everything around here will do 25 at least. My old DS would do 26-27 with full charge and maybe some downhill. My Gas Yamaha will do a little more, maybe 27-28. Must be a gearing thing, huh?

Comment

Show More Comments

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                  X