Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 36v DS Club Car Battery voltage condition meter wiring

I bought a Club Car I think it is a 1994 model. Not sure as the s/n sticker is damaged. anyway the owner put in a new meter but couldn't remember which wire was positive and negative. So it is not hooked up. It has Black and white wires. So I am wondering if I connect the wires wrong across the 36volts, will it damage the meter or just read negatively?

Typically black wires are used for negative or ground connections, while white wires are often used for positive connections. Therefore, you should connect the black wire to the main negative terminal of the battery pack and the white wire to the main positive terminal.

Meters are generally designed to be quite resilient, but connecting them in reverse can result in erroneous readings like incorrect values or no reading at all. This happens because the meter is designed to measure voltage or current in a specific direction and reversing the connections disrupts this measurement process.

Comment

Thank you for the reply. I don't know why they didn't make the wires Red and Black. Probably made in China. I need to figure out which side is positive and find the other end for negative.

Comment

If you’re feeling a bit experimental, here’s the main pack terminals where you can confirm which side is positive and which is negative. If you’re feeling unsure, feel free to post some pics of your setup, somebody here may be able to help guide you through it!​

Photos Attached

You do not have permission to view this gallery.

If you are a guest, you may be required to Log In or Sign Up to view.

This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

Thank you for the diagram of the batteries. I did figure it out and connected the wires correctly. My batteries have some weak cells and I am in the process of charging them individually. The smart charger I have is not a heavy duty one. 2 amps to 6 amps. I'm looking for a 6 volt desulfator. Hopefully I'll have some success with that. But having difficulty finding a 6 volt one.

Comment

Glad to hear that you figured out the wiring. Dealing with weak cells can be challenging. Charging them individually is a good step. A desulfator can be helpful in this process. In theory, a desulfator works by sending high frequency pulses through the battery which helps to break down the sulfate crystals that can build up on the battery plates over time.

However, if finding a 6 volt desulfator proves difficult, there’s an alternative approach you might consider. For example, if you can only find a 12 volt desulfator, you can still perform it safely. To do this, you’ll need to connect your 6 volt batteries in series to create a 12 volt system. Connect the positive terminal of the first 6 volt battery to the negative terminal of the second 6 volt battery. This will effectively make a 12 volt configuration from your two 6 volt batteries. Next, connect the positive lead of your 12 volt desulfator to the positive terminal of the first battery and the negative lead to the negative terminal of the second battery. This allows the unit to treat the two 6 volt batteries as a single 12 volt unit.

You can also try reconditioning the batteries manually by using a technique called “equalizing charge.” This involves taking your batteries to an automotive mechanic who has an automotive style "peak" charger that is able to be set to a higher charge rate (within the safe range for your batteries) for a short period of time. This process can help to break up the sulfate buildup and improve the battery’s performance. Avoid leaving them unattended and keep an eye on both the voltage and temperature to prevent overheating or overcharging. An equalizing charge should be conducted for a brief period, typically no more than an hour. Keep the batteries away from sparks or open flames, especially during connection and disconnection because batteries, particularly lead acid types, can release hydrogen gas during charging. Hydrogen is highly flammable and if it accumulates and comes into contact with a spark it could potentially cause an explosion, so only try it in a well ventilated area.​

Comment

Good idea to series two batteries.
              Thanks,

Comment

Show More Comments

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
              X