Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2001 Club Car not charging

I have a 2001 club car. I recently hooked up a light bar with the 12v converter and when I did that i accidentally blew the fuse in the yellow container behind the charger port. I’ve replaced that fuse but now I can’t get it to charge anymore. The cart will move and run fine but it will not kick on the charger. Any advice? I’ve read a little about bypassing the OBC but I’m not sure if that’s the route to go or how to do it properly. Any help appreciated

Question.. did you remember what wires crossed that blew the fuse?? This sounds like this all happened in the moment

Comment

No I don’t. It happened when I disconnected the red wire going to battery 1 from the charging port. I accidentally still had the battery charger connected to the port when i disconnected the wire. It sparked and then I heard a click like the fuse blew

Comment

To start, you'll want to confirm that the cart has enough voltage to trigger the charger's activation signal from the onboard computer. Using a digital voltmeter, measure the voltage across the entire battery pack by placing the positive lead on the main positive terminal and the negative lead on the main negative terminal. The total voltage should read at minimum 36-38 volts. If it falls below this range, you'll need to charge each battery individually to boost their levels.

Locate the carts charger receptacle. You'll find three wires connected at the back: red for positive, black for negative, and grey for the onboard computer control. Make sure the red wire is intact and follow it to the main positive battery terminal, checking for any signs of corrosion or damage.

Next, you'll need to check two fuses near the charger receptacle. Start by finding the larger fuse, which is bolted to the back of the receptacle and connected by two black wires. On the opposite side, you'll see a fuse element inside a plastic window. Set your multimeter to the continuity setting and place each lead on the nuts where the black wires are connected. If continuity is present, the fuse is in good shape; if not, replace it. The second fuse is an inline fuse you found located on the grey control wire, housed in a yellow rubber holder. Open the holder and check the fuse with your meter. If the fuse is blown, replace it with a 3/8 amp fuse to avoid damaging the charging system.

Comment

Ok I charged each battery individually. Wires and fuses from receptacle look good. Plug in the charger and still nothing. I’ve seen people bypassing the OBC with just a negative wire from the main negative to the receptacle. Is that what I should try next?

Comment

I would check the charger relay since they go bad sometimes
            To check the charger relay, start by removing the charger cover to locate the relay. If you have a PowerDrive 17930 model, the relay will be on the bottom floor at the front of the charger. For PowerDrive2 22110 models, it’s mounted on the front wall above the circuit breaker. Before proceeding, make sure both power cords are unplugged from the charger. Next, disconnect the blue and red wires from the smaller two posts of the relay, there are four posts in total, with two large and two small. Set your multimeter to measure DC voltage, then insert the leads into the ends of the blue and red wires you just unplugged. Now, plug the charger cord into the golf cart (there's no need to plug the other cord into the wall). Within 2-10 seconds, you should see full battery voltage displayed on the meter. If you do, this means the onboard computer is successfully communicating with the charger and telling the relay to turn on. If your charger hasn't been making the usual "click" sound, you’ll need to replace the relay. However, if the voltage doesn't change when you perform this test, it suggests that the onboard computer has failed and is no longer communicating with the charger, which means the onboard computer might need to be replaced.

Comment

I changed the relay and the front fuse of the charger and still nothing. I did borrow a charger from a neighbor and as soon as I hooked his up it started charging the golf cart right away. So with that being said I think my charger has bit the dust

Comment

Show More Comments

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
              X