Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1994 club car ds overheating

36 volt club car ds resistor coils and motor heating up even when key is off.disconecter red battery cable and cooled right down. Reconnected red battery cable and turned key still cool till I pressed gas pedal then coils heated up in about 30 seconds.any ideas

Three things come to mind regarding your carts resistor coils and motor heating up even when the key is off. It's possible that the solenoid is welded closed. The solenoid acts like an on/off switch for the electrical current to the motor. When it’s functioning correctly, it only allows current to flow to the motor when the key is on and the pedal is pressed. However, if the solenoid is welded closed, it continuously allows current to flow, which can cause the resistor coils and motor to heat up even when the key is off. To check for this issue, you can use a multimeter to test for continuity across the solenoid terminals when the key is off and the pedal is not pressed. If there's continuity, the solenoid needs to be replaced.

Another possibility is that the V Glide is not returning to zero. The V Glide is responsible for controlling the amount of current sent to the motor based on the position of the accelerator pedal. If it’s not returning to the zero position when the pedal is released, it can cause a small amount of current to continuously flow, leading to the heating issues you’re experiencing. Inspecting the V Glide involves checking the wiper arm to ensure it’s making proper contact and returns fully to the zero position when the pedal is released. If it’s sticking or misaligned, it may need adjustment or replacement.

Lastly, there could be a short somewhere in the high current wiring. A short circuit can cause unintended current flow, leading to overheating of the coils and motor. Inspect the wiring for any signs of wear, damage, or loose connections. Pay special attention to areas where wires are close to moving parts or metal surfaces that could cause abrasion or cuts in the insulation. Using a multimeter to check for continuity and resistance across various points in the wiring can help identify the exact location of the short.

Additionally make sure that all connections are clean and tight, as corrosion or loose connections can exacerbate electrical issues. A little backstory leading up to the problem would be very helpful. For instance, did this issue start after any recent repairs or modifications? Have there been any unusual occurrences, such as sparks or unusual noises? Knowing the context can help pinpoint the root cause. I'm attaching the wiring diagram to this post for reference, let me know!
    From rewiring to engine rebuilds. Selection of useful blueprints, diagrams and downloadable OE books for your golf cart.

Comment

No repairs or modifications done ,no sparks or noises. Was raining earlier the night it first started my neighbor at campground noticed her legs getting hot. I thought it was because batteries were a little low so charged cart over night. Rained in morning next day when I noticed it was hot after short ride 5 minutes or so shut off key and it go hotter behind battery's noticed it was resistors and maybe motor they were both hot.

Comment

Also noticed on or two battery terminals had a little corrosion on them
        ​​​​​​

Comment

Thanks for the additional info. I'm attaching the troubleshooting guide to this post. Since your cart is still functional and the issue seems to have started unexpectedly, I recommend starting by inspecting all connections for any that are broken, loose, or dirty. Once you've done that, you can begin the troubleshooting process around page 7 (labeled page 19-13) of the guide. Which highlights the inspection of the solenoid and v-glide. There is a detailed wiring diagram on page 2 which you could use when you inspect the condition of the resistors and resistor board as well.
          Attached Files:
          Free Download, courtesy of Golf Carts Forum

Comment

Thanks

Comment

Show More Comments

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
            X