2006 Precedent Hesitation/Diminishing power (Minneapolis Area)

Collapse

Forum Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2006 Precedent Hesitation/Diminishing power (Minneapolis Area)

Hello,

I've sent a couple of emails to forum members regarding this issue today, but I need some guidance (and a repair person if you're in the Minneapolis, Saint Paul, Western Wisconsin metro).

My 2006 Precedent is hesitating and shows diminishing power while going uphill. I understand it's going to power down slightly, but this is more than normal. I drive exclusively on smooth gravel trails and streets around my house – it’s a 4 seater that we use for going up and down a large hill to my beach. It seems as though I have less power this year than ever, and once in a while the cart slows down for a few seconds and seems like it stalls, but recovers without actually stopping. I had the batteries tested today (6-8 volt batteries) and they all tested to be good. 5 of the 6 batteries are exactly one year old, but 6 all show good voltage and when the fluid was checked they all passed.

I know nothing about electric motors, but with a little advice I'm sure I can do some basic troubleshooting and repair. UNLESS there is someone in the twin Cities area who works on Club Cars and wants some side work.

Thank you

The batteries are the heart of an electric golf cart, providing the power needed for all operations especially when climbing hills or handling heavy loads. You've mentioned that your cart has a mix of old and new batteries, with five of the six being one year old. It's important to understand that even if most batteries are relatively new and all appear to have good voltage, it only takes one bad battery to affect the entire set's performance.

To accurately diagnose if a battery is causing your power issues, an individual load test is necessary. Start by fully charging the cart then taking photos of the current battery setup so you can reconnect everything correctly afterward. Let the batteries rest for a few hours, then disconnect them. You can purchase a load tester from a store like Harbor Freight. To run an individual load test, connect the load tester to each battery one at a time. Apply the load as per the tester's instructions, typically for about 10-15 seconds, and observe the voltage drop. A healthy battery should maintain a stable voltage under load. If any battery shows a significant voltage drop, it indicates that the battery is weak and needs to be replaced.

Over time batteries can become weak due to repeated charge and discharge cycles and inadequate maintenance. Sulfation occurs when lead sulfate crystals form on the battery plates, which can happen if batteries are not fully charged regularly. This process reduces the battery's capacity to hold a charge and deliver power, particularly under load, such as when driving uphill. In your case, even though your 2006 Precedent's batteries tested well for voltage and fluid levels, it is possible that they may still be experiencing some level of sulfation or degradation that is not immediately apparent from simple voltage tests. This could explain why your cart is showing diminishing power and hesitation on hills more this year than before.

Photos Attached

You do not have permission to view this gallery.

If you are a guest, you may be required to Log In or Sign Up to view.

This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

I couldn't have said it any better myself golfcartg, if there are any beginners here, be sure to switch into tow first (if equipped) and start with the main pack negative.

Posted earlier by nnmsgst
      once in a while the cart slows down for a few seconds and seems like it stalls, but recovers without actually stopping.
      Since this is a common issue with Precedents, you could potentially also be dealing with a worn or malfunctioning MCOR in addition to your potential battery issues. The MCOR translates the physical movement of the accelerator pedal into an electrical signal that the controller uses to adjust the motor's power output. On the 2006 Club Car Precedent, the MCOR is located beneath the floorboard. To access it, you need to pull back the floor mat and a few panels. It is housed near the pedal assembly connected by a linkage to the accelerator pedal, and features a wiring harness that electronically links it to the cart. If you’re experiencing issues with acceleration or erratic speed control, inspecting the MCOR is a good place to look. Before that, turn off the cart and carefully press the accelerator fully down and up 30 times to clean the MCOR contacts. See if this temporarily resolves the problem.
      Regards

Comment

Show More Comments

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
      X