Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Club cart surging.

1990 Club cart FE 290. Starts great and takes off. Then starts surging for the entire ride, and that's holding the accelerator steadily. I installed new plugs, fuel and air filters. Also oil and filter. Still surges. Please advise

First off, would you be willing to get your cart up on jack stands? This would let you safely recreate the problem without having to drive it around. If you could take a video of it while it’s surging and post it on YouTube, that would be really helpful. Seeing and hearing exactly what’s going on can provide a lot of clues.

Now, there are a few things that come to mind right off. One of the key areas we need to check is fuel delivery. We want to make sure that your cart is getting consistent fuel, so we might need to look at the fuel pump, lines, and carburetor. Sometimes, a blockage or a weak fuel pump can cause surging because the engine isn’t getting a steady supply of fuel. And keeping in mind the differences between aftermarket and original carburetors if you have or are considering a replacement. OEM carburetors are designed specifically for your engine and have precise tolerances and tuning capabilities tailored to your cart's performance needs. Aftermarket carburetors, especially the cheaper ones you find on Amazon, often lack this level of precision. They might not deliver fuel as consistently or accurately, leading to performance issues like surging.

Another important thing I want to see is the throttle and governor linkage. When the engine is surging, take a close look at these linkages to see if there’s any unusual movement or if they’re sticking. Any irregularities here can cause your engine to surge because it’s not getting a consistent signal on how much throttle to supply.

Additionally, the performance of the clutches can’t be overlooked. When your cart is up on jack stands and running, observe how the clutches engage and disengage. If the clutches are not working smoothly or there’s noticeable wear, it can cause the engine to surge. The primary and secondary clutches should engage and disengage seamlessly for smooth operation.

Comment

Posted earlier by golfcartg
      First off, would you be willing to get your cart up on jack stands? This would let you safely recreate the problem without having to drive it around. If you could take a video of it while it’s surging and post it on YouTube, that would be really helpful. Seeing and hearing exactly what’s going on can provide a lot of clues.

Now, there are a few things that come to mind right off. One of the key areas we need to check is fuel delivery. We want to make sure that your cart is getting consistent fuel, so we might need to look at the fuel pump, lines, and carburetor. Sometimes, a blockage or a weak fuel pump can cause surging because the engine isn’t getting a steady supply of fuel. And keeping in mind the differences between aftermarket and original carburetors if you have or are considering a replacement. OEM carburetors are designed specifically for your engine and have precise tolerances and tuning capabilities tailored to your cart's performance needs. Aftermarket carburetors, especially the cheaper ones you find on Amazon, often lack this level of precision. They might not deliver fuel as consistently or accurately, leading to performance issues like surging.

Another important thing I want to see is the throttle and governor linkage. When the engine is surging, take a close look at these linkages to see if there’s any unusual movement or if they’re sticking. Any irregularities here can cause your engine to surge because it’s not getting a consistent signal on how much throttle to supply.

Additionally, the performance of the clutches can’t be overlooked. When your cart is up on jack stands and running, observe how the clutches engage and disengage. If the clutches are not working smoothly or there’s noticeable wear, it can cause the engine to surge. The primary and secondary clutches should engage and disengage seamlessly for smooth operation.
      I have an older phone, but I will do my best to video. Thank You.
      Updated by Michael Eddie; June 28, 2024, 11:47 AM.

Comment

Show More Comments

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
      X